Thursday, January 20, 2011

So Sad But So Good


Do you have a song that you play when you need cheering up? Every writer should have one. Or ten.

I do.


And please keep in mind that I come from a karaoke-singing, Rock Band-playing family. We sing these songs loud with the music blaring, and they always chase disappointment away.

Here are my top ten pick-me-up favorites:

1. Cry To Me by Solomon Burke
"Well, here I am, honey. Oh, come on, you cry to me." I smile as I sing along with this one. Who wouldn't? Solomon Burke could sing me the telephone directory, and I'd be happy.
2. Try A Little Tenderness by Otis Redding.
3. Bring It On Home by Sam Cooke
4. Get Over It by The Eagles.
5. Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones
6. It's A Long Way To The Top by AC/DC
7. Here We Go Again by Whitesnake
8. My Life Would Suck Without You by Kelley Clarkson
9. The Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin
10. I'm Not Crying, Business Time, Think About It or anything by Flight Of The Conchords. Hilarious. Love you Jemaine and Brett!

What songs make you happy?

But on those days when I want catharsis and to wallow in sorrow and open a metaphorical vein-

Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley

"She put him out like the burning end of a midnight cigarette.
She broke his heart. He spent his whole life trying to forget.
We watched him drink his pain away a little at a time
But he never could get drunk enough to get her off his mind, until the night
He put the bottle to his head and pulled the trigger."

Hurt by Johnny Cash

"I hurt myself today,
to see if I still feel.
I focus on the pain,
the only thing that's real."

Oh, ouch. Ouch! Maybe my problems aren't so bad . . .

What are your so-sad-they're-good songs?











14 comments:

  1. My favorite sad song is The Green Fields of France by the Dropkick Murphys. As for happy songs, one of my favs is Great Day To Be Alive by Travis Tritt. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wake up every morning with a theme song and it's almost always different so I don't have a list of a few but right now I have a favorite that is out of the ordinary, it's called Wicked Little High. The words are, 'You're a wrong turn, a big fat 'no', you're the pay off drink before a long drive home, you're the thing to avoid, bars to my cage, you're all I think about every day. You've got that thing that my wildest dreams are made of, You set my world on fire." Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lucy" and "Yours to Hold" both by Skillet are my go to songs for sad and good.
    "I see you standing here
    But you're so far away
    Starving for your attention
    You don't even know my name" -Yours to Hold

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the lyrics of "Somewhere only we know" by Keane. This song breaks my heart all the time but this song is meant to be sung LOUD!

    Oh I wanna karaoke now!!!! Thanks for a fab post Roxy!! May your home continue to burst with lots of song and singing!! And air guitar!

    :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's this new one out by the new singer Christina Perry called "Jar of Hearts." I don't know why, but it makes me just stop and listen. It's rather depressing so don't listen to it thinking it's going to be fun and jumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sing by Travis just makes me sad
    happy song I go to the wiggles or yo gabba gabba; can you tell am raising a toddler?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Hello' by Neil Diamond. And of course, you can't go passed the Carpenters for a good-old-fashioned cry.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great collection of ear candy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good list.

    For me, any 80s pop will do. Everybody was happy in the 80s, and it showed in the music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a good list. Like you sometimes I find music to snap me out of the doldrums, but other times, I'll turn to something really mournful and indulge myself in a dose of self-pity!

    For the snap-out-of-it happy music, I'd like to second Lightning Bug's suggestion of 80s pop. I think I'd probably add 90s Euro-trash as well, although I know almost no-one will agree with me! And of course, good old-fashioned angry rock music, Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name of" is a good-one to get your blood boiling!

    And I can definitely second your nomination of Johnny Cash's "Hurt". What about Bill Withers' "Aint no sunshine"? Old Irish and Scottish songs mourning great historic injustices will also do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thanks for following my blog. :)I have to say my favorite So Sad But So Good song is also The Green Fields of France by Dropkick Murphys. The lyrics are lovely, although different from their usual work, and they put a lovely image in my head that's beautiful and sad. I try to avoid it though during that-time-of-the-month. haha xD~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I did think of a sad song... 'I Grieve' by Peter Gabriel.

    I have an award for you on my blog! Hope you'll pop on over and take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite song right now is Viva la Vida by Coldplay. I swear that song is so uplifting! Also Iridescent by Linkin Park. Love that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love "Dream Big" by Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband. That song has gotten me through the worst times of my life.

    ReplyDelete