Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Gratitude


I am grateful for a new year. Think of all the possibilities, all the goals we can achieve. Looking over your recent posts, I am amazed by what you have already accomplished.

I have been caught up in mothering-and-wifery, carpooling, cleaning of all kinds, and trying to get healthy. I need to increase my muscle tone and lung strength in order to have a reconstructive surgery in autumn of 2012. I have also been cutting and rewriting my women's fiction novel. I am going to a conference in May where I am scheduled to meet agent Weronika Janczuk. Yay!! I'm also doing a publication primer workshop-- which is me, other aspiring writers, and a published author critiquing our manuscripts without mercy. (okay, there's probably going to be a lot of mercy, but still it will be an intense six-hour experience.) I'm filled with gratitude for this opportunity.

Lately, my youngest child has been making great strides with reading. He struggles with this skill daily and is about a year behind his peers. When he finally grasped the concepts of silent-e and blended letters, I felt tears gathering in my eyes because I can't imagine life without reading, without an understanding of words and stories. I credit Brian Selznick with my son's breakthrough. Owen loved The Invention of Hugo Cabret. We bought it at a small bookstore when we were on vacation this summer at the beach. We would curl up and I would read it aloud, and soon, other children would join us. This book became a family event. Santa brought my little, grey-eyed child the newest Selznick creation, Wonderstruck. We began reading it last night after a laborious hour of homework. Already, I know it is going to be wonderful. Owen hung on my every word.

I am so grateful for writers. Mr. Selznick, in particular.

Happy New Year!


9 comments:

  1. Yay! Happy New Year!
    Meeting Weronika sounds like it will be tons of fun! She's always so nice in her correspondance. And color me jealous about your publication primer! That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratitude adds a new dimension to our lives. Happy 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful about your son. I know when my Monster started reading, it brought tears to my eyes as well. There's something so satisfying when they start to comprehend the letters and words. They can do ANYTHING once they learn how to read.

    Congrats on all your other fun news as well. Workshops and conferences oh my. Someday I will get myself to one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm teary from reading that success story. The power of words to draw us in and bond the family - what a blessing. He'll get it. We all bloom at different times. All my boys were late bloomers in reading. Now, I can't keep them in books. There's not enough, in their opinion! I got the Hugo book for one of my boys for Christmas.
    Glad to see you back. Hope you get strong and healthy.
    Oh, and if you take Dare as your word for 2012, be ready for the wild ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wonderful Roxy and most amazing Owen! Yay for writers and books and bookstores!! Oh wow!! I think your boy's breakthrough because of this book is the bestest story of 2012 in the blogosphere! I love it!! Yay!!!

    Oh but Roxy?!?! Surgery? Oh dear! Please please get your lungs and muscles all shipshape fabulous for this!!

    I think your 2012 is just going to be super duper amazing!! Happy New Year!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! That is so great! I love that my kids are picking up reading. The best is when my teen comes to talk to me about books. Love it!

    Happy New Year Roxy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of those things you have been caught up in sound warm and homemakey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! Wifery... love that. lol.

    I can't wait to hear about your writing conference experience in May!! Kristi Chestnutt and I are looking into going to one sometime this year.. makes me nervous just thinking about it! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a cool story. You warm my heart.
    Being a trained teacher, I am a HUGE fan of kids loving to read. Being a mother, I am a HUGE fan of stories before bedtime. It's my favourite time of the day :)

    Thank you so much for sharing this great post :)

    ReplyDelete