Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Questions I Ask Myself (repost). . .

I hope you all had a great St. Paddy's. Be kind to yourself today, won't you? I am taking it easy after cooking a big meal for a large number of people and then doing the dishes afterward late into the wee hours. Not exactly a wild night on the town, but I'm really old and require huge amounts of sleep to function. In fact, I think I will take a nap soon.

After I wake up, I'm going to finish some important writing projects that I've let slide. I'm reposting a piece I wrote at the beginning of my blogging career. Hard to believe that was just a couple of months ago.

Have an awesome March 18th! And thanks for your help and support.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010


This is what I think about when I'm sitting at my computer, a solitary being in search of company yet finding none. I don't have a story idea in my head, my Facebook home page has zero friends chatting, my email inbox is so bare it reminds me of an old West ghost town just before the big gun fight. Even the occasional spam I receive from the obscure catalogue company I purchased something from eons ago wants nothing to do with me.

In other words, I've got zilch, nada, rien, nichts...

I ask myself the great, profound WHY on such occasions. (These are also some of the questions I ask myself when I am sleep deprived or if Winter has gone on too long and the stir-crazies have set in.)

1. Why does "seven minute" icing take so much longer than seven minutes to make?
2. Why do I talk to the television or my dog or the refrigerator when I know they're not really listening?
3. Why do I take offense at blonde jokes when I'm not even naturally a blonde?
4. Why does my crummy vacuum NOT suck?
5. Why doesn't anyone else notice when I'm having a good hair day?
6. Why do I love to watch the Food Network when I hate to cook?
7. Why does my dog love my husband? (P.S. He never wanted her in the first place.)
8. Whatever happened to Mrs. Clean? Or for that matter, the Burger Queen?
9. Why do I assume my children will take a hint?
10. If you leave your heart in San Francisco, does it really matter where the rest of you goes?
11. Why do I check the fat grams in Krispy Kremes?
12. If we all wore sunglasses, would we still see eye to eye?
13. Does the Postmaster General oppose the war?
14. Why don't they have Queen-size candy bars?
15. Why do they say black swimsuits are slimming when I weigh the exact same amount after putting one on?
16. Why do middle-aged people not look so old to me now?
17. Why don't grocery stores have a Coin Star for Legos or Hot Wheels? (I'd be rich!)
18. Who invented the word Google?
19. Why do medication disclaimers sound worse than the original disease?
20. Why do my children think that an ironic twist is a wedgie from a younger sibling?

There they are...those embarrassing, unanswerable questions I sometimes think about. If they serve no other purpose, they at least remind me to smile and remember that life isn't always so serious and duty-filled. It is often absurd and laughable. That's a good thing to remember when we live in the times we do. As they say, "Keep that sense of humor!" Maybe days like this are beneficial if they help me keep my perspective. And give me a free moment to listen to my six-year-old playing with his action figures in the next room.

Every gray cloud has a silver lining, right?
(Or maybe two.)

15 comments:

  1. Do you have an magic advice on how you got so many followers in just a couple of months?
    I love your blog and how often you post.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Roxy these are great! I am with you on 7 minute frosting. Its my favorite, but sheesh, it is definitely not 7 minutes!

    Also, I talk to almost all inanimate objects...worse I tend to name them..like my Jeep is JC, my engagement ring is Bella, my GPS is Gloria...yes it is a sickness that I make all objects into characters ;o)

    great post!

    Oh I hope you got my email & I posted a contest today.... ;o)

    Visit My Kingdom Anytime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post Roxy, as usual. And it's not that the dog doesn't love you, she knows your husband doesn't like her so she's trying to get on his good side.

    Dont' sweat the small stuff. And I wear sunglasses ALL THE TIME just so I won't have to see eye to eye with most people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxy,
    These "deep" questions have me thinking, and it's way too early this morning for that. I enjoyed them so much, I may need to review them again after lunch when the brain juices are flowing more freely.

    Thanks for the smile you put on my face!
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this list of questions! I've thought about a lot of these myself, especially the medication disclaimers sounding worse than the original disease. I overhear commercials listing all these side-effects, and I'm like, "No thanks, I'd rather have the first ailment." Ha. Thanks for sharing this cheerful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Debi, your blog never fails to make me smile, it's one of my favorite stops of the day :)

    Ironic twist!!! That's hilarious :)

    You're the best, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of contemplation going on here today! The one I definitely second is that every cloud has a silver lining ... most definitely, and thank goodness :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Especially the 'What ever happened to Mrs Clean?'

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this list and I share some of the same questions. I too talk to my appliances. Sadly, not always when Im alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny list. I hope you had a good nap and enjoyed some productive writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He he.

    I hope you have a restful nap.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunglasses or not, I usually fail to see eye to eye with people. I question the sanity of anyone who would agree with an opinion of mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha-ha. I've always wondered why the medicine side effects are always worse than what you're taking the medicine for. CRAZY! LOL. Love this post!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fun, and funny. It's like I'm reading your mind as it flows on in an endless stream of consciousness, and questioning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! Why, why, why.

    You're right, sometimes it's good to listen to our frustrations and then laugh at them because we can't control them.

    Good luck with the writing (after the nap).

    ReplyDelete